Softball and baseball’s favorite newspaper since 1987
USSSA Update - May 17, 2012
By Gerry Turnberg
Point system for USSSA 2012 rankings
The ranking system is based entirely on fact and is well respected across the nation as the granddaddy of all ranking systems. I am sure that many of you have questioned how the system works. Below are certain criteria defining the system and showing the breakdown of points awarded to the teams. I believe that this will be very valuable to you during the coming season should you have any questions concerning the ranking system.
In the Men’s B-C and D programs, each state can send an at-large team to the World Tournament based on the number of points the team has earned through playing in the USSSA tournament program. The requirements for an at-large berth are:
• Team must have the highest number of points after the completion of their State Tournament.
• Team qualifying must have a minimum of 200 points after the State Tournament.
• Team qualifying must have participated in a minimum of two National Invitational Tournaments (NIT’s) during the season.
• Team qualifying must have participated in a minimum of six USSSA sanctioned events including NIT’s and State Tournaments.
• Teams receiving their berth through the State berth system will not receive travel money and must provide their entry fee into the World Tournament.
• The berth may drop to the next highest ranked team in their state if the team meets all of the listed criteria.
• All berths must be approved and issued by the teams State Director and Division Vice President and accepted by National Headquarters by August 21.
It is mandatory that all teams that qualify for their World Tournament play in their State tournament and a National Tournament in their class.
National Ranking System Facts
• One of the major National Team Ranking Systems in the United States.
• Includes all significant classifications of the program.
• One of the few, if not the only, that is based entirely on participation supported by documents.
• Has become a major vehicle in creating interest and participation in the USSSA program.
• Has become the goal of thousands of players, managers and sponsors to be ranked on a state, divisional or national basis.
National Ranking System includes:
• Top finishers in USSSA sanctioned tournaments.
• One document, the USSSA Tournament Sanction Report, is the only method of input into the system.
• Only USSSA registered teams.
Does not include:
• Any other organization’s programs.
• Who beat who means nothing.
• Big budgets or politics mean nothing.
USSSA Point System (UPS)
Place World World National State Conference NIT State Qualifiers Non Leagues
Tournament Series Tournament NIT Level II Qualifiers
1st 650 650 600 300 300 150 100 75 40 40
2nd 350 350 225 225 225 110 75 55 30 30
3rd 300 300 200 200 200 90 60 45 25 25
4th 250 250 175 175 175 80 55 40 20 20
5th-6th 200 200 155 155 155 70 50 30 15 15
7th-8th 150 150 130 130 130 60 40 25 10 10
9th-12th 110 110 110 110 110 50 35 10 5 5
13th-16th 70 70 70 70 70 40 30
17th-24th 40 40 40 40 40 20 15
25th-32nd 20 20 20 20 40 10 10
Double point rules:
Adult Slow Pitch teams receive double ranking points when the following occurs:
• 2012 Double points are only available for the tournament type NIT.
• Team must play up in class and at least 1 team from a higher class must participate in order for teams to receive double points.
As you can see it is an advantage to play in higher class tournaments to earn double the points! Seedings for all NIT’s, Qualifiers, State, National and World Tournaments are based on this point system.
A reminder to the individuals who play on teams in different classes: You are eligible only for those weekend tournaments which include your highest-classified team. There is no reason for individuals who play on “A” or “B” teams to participate in “C” or “D” weekend tournaments. This is something that must be policed by the players themselves. Teams found in violation of this will forfeit all awards and travel expense monies won, and individual player eligibility may be placed in jeopardy. Ignorance is not an excuse; know the rules!
State Hall of Fame: We are accepting applications for our State Hall of Fame. The criteria for enshrinement into the Hall are listed on our website. To get applications for this, please contact my office or visit our website at www.mnusssa.com.
Hall of Fame Golf Tournament: Our Hall of Fame Golf Tournament will be Thursday, June 14, to benefit our State Hall of Fame. This is a fun-filled day. The tournament is a four person scramble with an 11:30 a.m., shotgun start. The entry fee includes: golf, cart, golf shirt, barbecue, tee gifts, door prizes and games on every hole. Please contact me or download a flyer from our website at mnusssa.com.
Check out the Minnesota USSSA website and view the listings of all tournaments. You can also print out copies of numerous fliers for weekend tournaments.
If I can be of any assistance in any of your softball needs, please call me at 763-571-1305 x 108 or 1-800-862-3659 x 108, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by my office at 200 Charles Street NE, Fridley, MN 55432.
REMEMBER – It is you, the player, coach, fan, director, umpire and association that make USSSA a GREAT organization and the place to be!